Monday, January 30, 2012

Why This but Not That?


 It's been a while since I made any observations in the goings on of the Media so here is goes!

So... I feel like a bad Film Student. I have hardly seen any of the films nominated for the Oscars this year. Nevertheless there is something that I HAVE to get off my chest. Two films I have seen are Harry Potter (duh) and Bridesmaids.

Now, don't get me wrong. I LOVED Bridesmaids, and thought it was hilarious. Kristen Wiig is awesome, but I DO NOT UNDERSTAND Melissa McCarthy's nomination for Best Supporting Actress. She was funny in a gross way and I understand all the "fan" award show nominations and even the Golden Globe, but Oscar??? Come on!!!

I do not understand why Alan Rickman could not have gotten a well deserved nomination for Supporting Actor for his haunting, riveting, and emotionally resonating portrayal of Snape for 8 films...It makes me downright sad. So, here is my rationalization of this. I get that there are separate categories for Supporting Actor and Actress and it isn't like Rickman could have taken McCarthy's place, but how can you nominate a gross comedic performance and snub a deep dramatic performance?

If we are now living in a world where farts and fatness are awarded yet mystery and loyalty are ignored then I don't know if I want to work in this industry after all... : (

No comments:

Post a Comment