Friday, September 3, 2010

Miss Pettigrew Lives for a Day (2008)


Initial Attraction: Amy Adams/ Time Period/ Focus Features

Thoughts: Once I saw the trailer for this film, I knew that it would be something that I would enjoy seeing. I remembered Frances McDormand from a few other films (mainly the live action version of Madeline that I adored as a young girl) but had never seen her in a leading role, and wasn't sure if she could carry a film.

Of course, the film has its fun and heartwarming moments, but it didn’t feel to me as powerful as other Focus Feature pictures that I’ve seen (Atonement, Eternal Sunshine of the Spotless Mind, The Pianist)

Loved the music and the costuming (especially that fancy lingerie) and watching Adam’s zany interpretation of Delysia but what I thought the film was lacking was true conviction from the characters.

Surprises: what I completely didn’t expect is that this film would lead me to…an obsession? As soon as Lee Pace showed up with his (fabricated) British accent and (replaced) piano playing, I knew that Delysia should pick him.

Disappointments: Unfortunately as good as an actress that Shirley Henderson is, as soon as she opens her mouth, I can’t stop thinking about Moaning Myrtle.

“If I Didn’t Care” was the perfect love theme for Delysia and Micheal, but Pace’s and Adam’s rendition was underwhelming.

Watch-ability: Lee Pace (Yum!)

No comments:

Post a Comment